Monday, January 31, 2011

Bad Advice...

I've been around this "get fit" thing for around 7-8 years, and had years of dance training before that. I've absorbed a ton of info on how the body reacts to diet and exercise... and I have my own reasons as to why, after so long, I haven't maintained my goal weight, but that's irrelevant. This is something I've seen on the Weight Watchers site and it's driving me nuts. I don't admit to knowing everything, but this just doesn't happen.

So, a few of the lovely ladies that I'm in touch with on the site have experienced some gains in recent weeks. As much as 3 pounds in one week to 5 pounds in two weeks. However, when seeking encouragement, another lovely lady/ man with the best of intentions recommends that they take measurements because maybe they're gaining muscle.... OK!! That just drives me bonkers!!  Of course, there is nothing wrong with taking your measurements. It can be a great way to measure success when you aren't losing.

Yes, you can have a slight gain or even maintain when you start a new workout routine, especially if it's a vigorous one. Unfortunately, gaining muscle weight doesn't happen at a 3 pound a week rate.... Unless you're on steroids or something, it's just not happening.  How about we suggest something a little more practical?

A large-ish gain (1-3 lbs) can be explained with some of the following:
  1. Water retention from said new workout routine. It could take as many as 4 weeks for your body to adjust to a new workout routine. You're body will hold onto fluids to help repair your muscles after a workout.
  2. Water retention from too much sodium in your diet
  3. Too many carbs and not enough protein. You need lean protein to build and repair muscles. Carbohydrates are sugars and when not used they're stored as fat. When eaten in the wrong proportions, the result could be a weight gain.
  4. Not getting in your GHG's (good health guidelines)
  5. For ladies, the time of the month
  6. A combination of any of these
  7. Some muscle gain (but must be combined with another reason)
  8. Under eating- yes, this can happen. Especially if you're burning alot of calories from vigorous exercise. If you don't eat enough of the right foods to fuel your body, your metabolism will begin to slow to conserve energy. Thus, slowing the amount of calories it burns in a day, which results in stopping and reversing weight loss.
  9. Any other logical explanation for a gain, but I think I covered the most common reasons.
But, there is no way anyone is going to gain pounds of muscle in a week. Even if we have great intentions, it is imperative that we give good advice to encourage our peers.

Of course, there is overeating. Even on the Weight Watchers points system. Some people just cannot eat all of their additional weekly points and lose weight. Some people can't eat any of their weekly points if they want to lose.

So, be mindful of the advice you give, and the advice you follow. I'm sure there have been times that the advice I've given wasn't so great. I'm definitely going to thoroughly think through the advice I want to give before posting. Also, be mindful of what works for you. Weight loss is quite a bit of trial and error until you find what your unique body needs to lose weight.

6 comments:

  1. You are right, I did read during my research that it takes at least a couple of months to build a lb of muscle, and this is with a combination of protein enriched diet and heavy lifting. Any gain I have experienced when lifting in the past has been the water retention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So friggen true! I think most of the people on the WW site have the best of intentions but some just don't know diddly. But yeah, it helps in that moment when you have a gain to kid (lie to) yourself that it's muscle and not those Big Mac's or Doritos... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of those WW people AND one of them who experienced a gain...I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! (lol) I knew I couldn't gain 3.5 lbs of MUSCLE in a week!! More likely that 1) it's salt related or 2) hormonal. I KNOW its not big macs cause I didnt have any of those...but I also know it's NOT muscle...YET!

    ((hugs))
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post big sis!!!! People in meetings try to say the same thing and it drives me CRAZY!!! Thankfully at the meeting the leader tells them they are wrong (of course she would say it nicer than how I just put it!).

    ReplyDelete