Tuesday, January 11, 2011

30 Day of Blogging- Day 19

Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive.  ~Thomas C. Haliburton


Nicknames you have and why do you have them

I have quite a few of these. I'll try to do this chronologically...

Riebop- Given to me by my father (?) when I was little... I mean very little. I don't remember a time when I didn't have this nickname. I have no idea where it came from but I remember being called "Rie bop the boo bop the long bam boom." I think it has something to do with the song "Tutti Fruity," but since I was so young, I'm not sure how accurate that is. And this is just the shortened version.

Rie- Short for Marie or Riebop

Dimples- My grandparents on my Dad's side always put this on the envelope of the cards they gave me. It's because I have dimples... on my face... well they are in other places, but that's not why I have this nickname.

Opie- Given to me by Michelle. I was teasing her at the time. Mom thought she was going to be a boy because her pregnancy with Michelle was so easy compared to her pregnancy with me. So, I was telling my sister that she was supposed to be a boy, and mom and dad were going to name her Mitchell. Well, she came back at me with, "well you're name was going to be Opal!" Then, it got shortened to Opie. So we are Mitch and Opie.

M squared- My sister and I were referred to as M squared in high school by our friends. It was easier that saying "Marie and Michelle."

Ma-retard- yup! This one came from my brother. I don't remember when, and he has tried to teach my niece and nephews to call me this. That was until my niece, at the age of two, yelled "daddy! that's not nice!" at him. :P

Boppers- Instead of calling me Rie or Riebop, one day my sister started calling me Boppers.

Mine Marie- This is something my husband calls me. I guess he's not into sharing. :P

Bitch- yes... it's true... My husband calls me this. And alot of people will say "OMG!! Your husband calls you bitch!" However, it's never said maliciously or during a fight. It is really just used in place of saying my name. It's along the same lines as my grandfather calling my grandmother "battle axe." Just part of our couple dynamic, and I find no offense in it. He's the only person that's allowed to call me this and in a sick way it's almost like a term of endearment.

I think that's it....

2 comments:

  1. Mitch and Opie is so cute:), so is dimples:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone else started calling you Rie too. I needed my own special name for you! B/c I'm your one and only sister. And I seriously LOVE Ma-retard...it's so funny!! You'll always be my Opie lmao

    ReplyDelete