![]() |
| My mom and dad at my sister's wedding |
She was the oldest of 5. She has 1 brother and 3 sisters. She's significantly older than her siblings because of miscarriages. Apparently my grandmother was a battle ax in the morning. So, when my mom was in high school, she'd get up and get ready for school, wake up her siblings, and then wake up my grandmother on her way out the door. :P
As a mother she was always fair and as I got older (into my 20's), I realized that she's always right. I had a truly wonderful life growing up and I attribute that to the hard work of my parents. My father worked to pay the bills. My mom worked so that we could afford the extra stuff like vacations, and bountiful Christmases. You could say that my siblings and I were spoiled, and we're the first ones to tell you that. For the most part, I don't think we were ungrateful... I think.... Maybe I have some rose colored glasses on. Ok... Since I'm talking about childhood at the moment, we probably were a little ungrateful, however I am grateful now when I look back on it.
She's a worry wart. I'm almost thirty and on snowy days, I call her when I get to work so she knows that I got there safe. I think I do this just so I don't make her worry. :P She lives an hour away, and I call her when I get home after leaving her house. When I was in college and living at home, I had to go into her bedroom and say goodnight no matter what time I got home. If she woke up in the middle of the night and didn't remember if I came home yet, she'd get up and walk down the hall to the computer room and look out the window to see if my car was there.
She's more than just a mother. She's one of my best friends. I can tell her anything and I do tell her everything.. mostly.... There are some things you just don't talk to your mom about. I do talk to her atleast once a day and when I'm bored, it's more. I think once I didn't call her for 3 days. On the third day she called me. :P That's probably the longest amount of time I've gone without getting in touch. It's a habit to just call her when I get home from work. I think it stems from calling her at work everyday after school. Most of the time, I don't have much to say. I'm just checking in.
She's an amazing role model. She's been married to my dad for 37 years. They raised three awesome kids. :P We're all successful in our own way. My sister gave them their first grandchild. My brother gave them their first granddaughter. I gave them.... grand-kitties? LOL!! See.. we're all successful.
I could go on about her forever. Maybe I should just take you all to her house to meet her. She'll make a pot of gravy. (for you non-Italians, that pasta sauce) :P

No comments:
Post a Comment