Thursday, June 9, 2011

Got Neti Pot?

Ok... This is totally random, but I wanted to share just in case one or some of my 9 public followers (and hopefully many more readers) are suffering from nasal allergies.

Earlier this week my sister went to the doctor. She had an allergy and asthma cocktail and the doctor recommended that she use a neti pot to help relieve her allergy symptoms and to clean out her sinuses. Her first reaction apparently was to text me with "I have to get a nettypot.... Ewww." Of course I respond with "LOL!" Later in the day I get a text exclaiming "I did it!!!" Three hours later came "Dude! Totally recommend neti pot..." Well, since it seems that I've been suffering from nasal allergies constantly since last summer, I went out and got myself a neti pot.


This one to be exact.
I bought it at the grocery store (pharmacy section with the nasal  sprays) and it came with 30 (?) packets of dry ingredients that you mix with warm water (probably just salt. :P). I used it... It was weird... At first you have that "I've got water up my nose" feeling which makes sense since... well... you have water up your nose... Once you get used to that feeling.... I'm not going to lie. It does feel a bit weird, but it's worth it because...

I AM ALLERGY FREE!  It cleared out my sinuses, took away that constant itchy nose and I haven't sneezed once since using it last night.

Before I was:

 And after I was:

Oooo! I like that dress! I wonder where.... Oh! Sorry... I got distracted...
 Where was I? Ah...Yes.... I'd recommend a neti pot. It's a great homeopathic remedy for nasal allergies. It's definitely better then pumping your body with fexofenadine (allegra), loratadine (claritin and alavert), diphenhydramine (benadryl), cetirizine (zyrtec)... or any other antihistamine... in case I've missed a few.

*Note- Yes, I've tried all of those antihistamines and none of them came close to relieving my nasal allergies like the neti pot did. However, the benadryl did knock me out enough to get a good nights sleep regardless of my allergy symptoms. :P

2 comments:

  1. I rarely go to the doctors but about six months or so ago I was wicked sick with a cold/flu thing and the doc recommended a neti pot and I had the exact same reaction as your sis. I had to have her write the name down because it just sounded so *weird* -- but YES -- AH-Mazing! I felt a gazillion times better that night!
    Neti Pot nice...
    Neti Pot your friend...
    All sickos need some Neti Pot in their lives! ;)

    Oh and yeah... that dress IS nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you posted your neti pot experience! lol You are so right though! Much better than any otc meds (though the doc wants me to use those as well b/c of the asthma issues). The best part is that it's just a saline solution so you can do it every day without worrying about side effects.

    ReplyDelete