My husband is a software engineer. For almost our entire relationship he's occasionally brought up the idea of living on the west coast. He received some information from a friend about Amazon having a hiring event to fill positions in an office in Seattle. He's not sure if he'll go, but most... possibly all... ok... definitely all of the tech companies are on the west coast. So, it brought up the question of living on the west coast again.
Could west coast living be in my future? Honestly, it seems like a very real possibility this time more than the other times since there is an actual recruitment event. We definitely need to sit down and discuss it. So far we've only talked about it in passing. I already know how my family would feel about it. They have a hard enough time with me being an hour away... Across the country? I might need to make "We go to counseling" part of the terms and conditions of relocating. LOL!
I asked him how he would feel if I was the one making the big money and asked to move to Seattle. His response was "What are we waiting for? Let's go!" My reply was that he was only saying that because it's what he'd want to hear from me. However, he honestly believes that it would be cool to live on the west coast. It would be a nice change. I would want to have defined seasons though. As much as I like 60-70 degree weather I wouldn't want it year round. The more I think about it. I kind of like the idea of living in the Seattle area. The summers don't get too hot and the winters aren't frigid. There are more defined seasonal changes than certain areas of California where we might end up. The only battle would be the rain... but I like rain.
We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds. He doesn't think he'll go to this particular hiring event, but it's very possible that one day I'll be looking at the Pacific ocean instead of the Atlantic.
Every now and again I find myself considering how it would be to live out on the west coast, too. I don't think I'd mind the constant, temperate climate, but I would miss the turning of the leaves, and the glorious color that results. It's a tantalizing thought.
ReplyDeleteYou know I would be sad to see you move so far away, BUT we could still text constantly so the only difference would be missing you during random holiday/family functions. We would all miss you, but if it's where you guys need to go to really fulfill your dreams then go for it! I hate it, but I totally support you!
ReplyDeleteWith all the technology that we have today, moving across the country is definitely doable. People do it all the time! I don't think I personally could do it, but that's why I married a man that wanted to live where we grew up :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your decision though, only you guys know what's right for you.