More like Whole1... I got through a good 12 waking hours of no grains when the cracker monster reared its ugly head. If it was later in the night, I would've just gone to bed, but it was 8 pm when I finally caved and ate crackers.... 7 whole grain organic crackers... So much for that. I was crabby and getting a migraine. My sister said "welcome to the world of addiction." Yes, for me, grains are an addiction. I didn't miss the sugar in my coffee this morning, nor did I miss the milk. I didn't miss the cheese on my eggs or the sandwich I usually have for lunch. I did miss the rice I didn't have with dinner and the oatmeal I usually have for breakfast. Even with the support of my sister and my friend who is going into his 3rd week of the program, I was too strong willed to listen to the advice that I would feel better in a couple more days. However, a couple more days of migraines and shaking for something as harmless as grains just wasn’t worth it to me. I can step up, be an adult and make a conscious effort to replace some of those grains with protein and veggies.
Also, upon further reflection I realized that a program like Whole30 doesn't coincide with what I believe. I don’t believe in eliminating whole food categories. Though the author’s of the book claim (and so did I yesterday) that it’s about getting healthy and not losing weight. Well it’s not... I AM healthy. I get my yearly check up. For me, there’s no point to go to such dietary extremes if I don’t have to. All I want is to lose a measly 15-20 pounds. Besides depriving myself of foods I love leads to far worse things. Like a massive binge... or treating everyone around me like crap. I also like to enjoy life. There are birthday parties and holidays coming up. I like to enjoy my time with my family. I don’t want to worry about what food I’ll be able to eat. It just doesn’t make sense for me right now.
I’m obviously not in the right frame of mind to dedicate myself to such a strict dietary program. Even while I was reading the book, I was questioning some of the extremes they were implying. There is something to be said for eating a balanced diet. That I can do. I’ve done it before. We all get thrown off track sometimes. We just need to realize that we’ve strayed from what we know is good for us. Then, muster up the strength and motivation to get back to doing those healthy things we know work for us. So... I need to eat fewer grains, more protein and more veggies. I also need to get my butt up off the couch and get moving! It’s going to get nice out pretty soon. I’m home all day. There’s no reason why I can’t go over to the trail near my house and atleast go for a nice stroll.
So that’s the plan!
I'm so glad that you changed your mind, because I agree 100%, food groups should not be cut out (unless it's meat, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!). ;-)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Leah! I figured you'd support any dietary decision I make. If it wasn't for my husband, I'd probably lean more to being a vegetarian just for the fact that I'm not a huge fan of meat. Glad you're still here!
Deletehey look who blogged!!!
ReplyDeletei am in full agreement and as someone who has tried weeding out every food group out there -- i can agree in FULL confidence! any nutritionist will tell you we need these food groups and without a balance we are well... off balance! the only time i ever felt confident omitting a food group was as a vegan/vegetarian. sadly i enjoy my meat!
glad to see ya back!
WRITE MORE!
xxoo
I tried going Paleo too since its supposed to be really good for PCOS but I can't commit to it that whole heartedly. I've made changes and incorporated it into my life but it doesn't rule it.
ReplyDelete