Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Going there....

It's all over! Marriage Equality... Yes... I'm going there. Hopefully in a non-controversial, respectful and educated way. If you've been reading this blog since the beginning you'll know that the one thing I can't stand is ignorance and intolerance. I am one of those people that believes that you should mind your own business and stop worrying about what other people are doing. That being said I fully support marriage equality. Homosexual couples are committing to lifetime relationships without the benefits that heterosexual married couples get. A ban on gay marriage screams discrimination to me.

Lets get down to the basic ideals that this country was founded on. Things like... oh.... I don't know... life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. All men are created equal. Just based on that alone you would think that this would be a cut and dry decision. Everyone has the right to live their lives as they see fit so long as they're not hurting other people in the process. Everyone should have the same rights regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation. Done and done.... No ban on gay marriage... It's that simple. I really don't understand all the debate... Until you get to....

People who are quoting the Bible as a reason why gay marriage should be banned... Ok... I respect your right to believe that one line you keep regurgitating from the Bible. Did you read the rest of it? There are things like love they neighbor, and let he who is without sin throw the first stone and some thing about God being the one to pass judgment. A very important fact to remember is that not everyone believes in the Bible!  Regardless of how you feel about homosexuals, you can't deny that these couples are as much in love as any heterosexual couple.

So why shouldn't there be gay marriage? ::raises hand like an over eager Hermione Granger::  I know! I know! Marriage should lead to procreation and homosexuals can't do that (yes I've seen this argument). Thankfully there's a loop hole, which is modern medicine. All you need now is a happy sperm donor or an egg donor and a surrogate. Lets not get into the fact that there's alot of premarital baby making and some married folk that don't intend to have children. Marriage isn't a catalyst for procreation.

I have no problem with anyone's lifestyle as long as it's not hurting other people. A married gay couple isn't hurting you. So big deal if you have to explain to your kid why her classmate has two mommies or two daddies. You'll have to explain the one mommy or one daddy thing if you aren't part of the 50% of marriages that ends in divorce. There are all different kinds of families. Right? Sound like something you heard as a child? I'm thinking it is.

I'm under the impression that most people are good people and homosexuals are people like everyone else. At the end of the day it's about being able to be free to marry the  person you love. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel if you weren't allowed to marry your significant other?

So... that's all I've got for your today. <enter catchy sign off line here>








3 comments:

  1. Clap...Clap...awesome post. I am so ready for their to be equal marriage right for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I don't know that I would call this a rant, I do agree it is fantastic. lol Valid points made in a very respectful manner. Nicely done, big sister.

    ReplyDelete