Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Week One: Couch to 5K: Things I Learned

Today, I finished week 1 of the Couch to 5K program. Today's run was definitely better than the first. Somehow I was passed by the same guy twice... and the trail is straight and I hadn't turned around. Not sure how that happened since I definitely didn't pass him. Anyhow... Here are a few things I learned in my first week:

1. Don't start too fast. Today, I shortened my strides to reduce the pain that I felt on Friday night after my first run. Turns out... It worked and the running portions were alot more manageable. I also didn't run as fast. I have to remind myself that speed will come. Right now I need to focus on becoming more comfortable with the running movement. I've never been particularly good a running. The motion is a bit outside of my comfort zone and it is going to take a little time to get accustomed to it.

2. Running up hill sucks! Aside from the reasons I mentioned in my last post, I also like to run on the trail because it's flat. Saturday was a lot dreary and a little rainy. As a result, I opted to run around the neighborhood so I'd be close to home instead a mile away from my car in the event that it started to rain hard. I knew it would happen. The second the app says "start your first run now," I find myself staring up a hill. Turns out that most of the running portions ended up being up hill....

3. I need some bug spray before my next run. The trail where I run is wooded and next to a creek. Guess what happens when you're in the woods.... You get bit by things. Well... I get bit by things in the backyard. It's like I'm made of sugar. And when I get bit, I get welts. Today's bites weren't so bad. You can't even tell they're there,  but I'd prefer not to get bit.

4. I can't wear the pants or the top that I wore on Friday. The pants were falling down and the top was riding up. I may have shown some crack to the guy behind me, but I'm not sure.

5. Having pepper spray might be a good idea.... Maybe? Ok... I'm on the fence about this one. My mom suggested it since I run by myself. One of the reasons I run on the trail is because there's always people on it. It feels safer when there are more people. I think the chance of being attacked goes down when there are witnesses. I'm not too concerned about the dogs. All the dogs I come across on the trail are well trained and controlled by their owners. Also we're quite a ways from the big city so the crime rate in my area is pretty low. I'm not sure if I really need it...

6. I might need a membership at Planet Fitness so I can have access to a treadmill if I need it. Summers here are hot and humid. Today wasn't bad. Though the temperature was around 80 and it was a little humid, there was a nice breeze that made it comfortable. Thankfully tomorrow isn't my run day. The forecast is 88 degrees (F) with high humidity. However, summer is coming and I know for a fact that if it's 90.... 95.... near 100, I will not want to run outside. Just something to think about since we won't buy a treadmill until it's certain that I'm actually into this running thing.

7. I need to run earlier in the day. I often workout in the afternoon because that's when I finally get my shit together, however it would be better to run when it's cooler out. Also, I'll need to run earlier if I want to prevent a gym membership and the dreaded treadmill running.

All-in-all I'm pretty proud of my first week. I ran in some rain and in humidity that makes it a little hard to breath. A few things that, in the past, I've used as excuses not to run.  My next run probably won't be until Friday since we're supposed to get thunderstorms on Thursday.

And... There you have it. 2 posts in one week! YAY!






1 comment:

  1. I hear ya on the running uphill part. I train with a big hill in the summer and afterwards I have a hard time walking for at least a week.

    ReplyDelete