Saturday, May 18, 2013

Me.... Running?!

Yesterday, I started the Couch to 5K program. Yup... I ran.... if you want to call what I did running. I think I can walk faster than I run. I went to the nice paved trail near my house. I feel that it's safer than going around the neighborhood. There are always people on that trail on nice days, there are no cars (obviously) and the people who walk their dogs there know how to keep them under control. It's in a wooded area so you're under trees alot of the way. It's really quite nice. It has some old historical buildings and a creek along it. There are little paths that'll take you down to the water where you can sit... or fish (which I see often). I walked this trail a few weeks ago. My pace yesterday was 26 seconds per mile faster than that walk. So.... I guess not that bad since most of the workout was walking.... If you really want to know, my pace was 14:44 min/mile.

The result? One red, sweaty, hot mess. LOL!! It looked worse in person than in this picture.


Gotta say... My mascara held up very nicely! (and no I didn't put makeup on to go running. I ran late in the afternoon after running errands for which I put on the makeup) Anyway... I'm a wee bit stiff and sore today. It's mostly in my hips. I even get sore there when I walk. I think my stride is too long for my short legs. I like the idea of running. The whole "just strap on some sneakers and you're off." No need for extra equipment and no annoying trainer on a DVD trying to tell you that you have more energy when it's clear that you don't. Just me, the voice prompts from the Get Running app, and my dubstep playlist (don't judge the dubstep. It puts me in a good mood and the tempo makes me want to move faster). So that's about it. I won't make a decision on whether or not I enjoy running until I get accustomed to it. I'll give it a couple weeks and I let you know then.

My plan is to run every other day. On the days I don't run, I want to do some yoga or pilates. Finally, on the 7th day, this bitch rests. :D I'm a strong believer in a full rest day per week. The body is not a machine. It's needs to time to recover. I'll even go so far as to say that I'll take additional rest days if my body is telling me to.

Lastly.... I'm hoping to post more often.... Maybe... I want to write more. I've come up with a few ideas since my last post and then it's crap when I try to write it. Sometimes the words just don't flow like you want them to and I refuse to give you something I'm not happy with or something I wouldn't want to read myself. That whole "quality not quantity" thing.

So I'll leave you hoping and wishing with all your heart that you'll see a new post from me sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog while looking for others with a similar interest in running. I ran my first 5K over 5 years ago and just started back on the path to healthy eating recently and ran a 10K, just yesterday! I look forward to reading about your experience with running! Battle on!

    ReplyDelete